Updated: May 18, 2022
Sunday, April 19th 2020.
My entire life changed on that day. There are no words to express the profound change that brought me to my knees on that day.
My name is Dalena. I am a mom, a daughter, a niece, an auntie, a sister, a granddaughter, and on that day I became a parent of an overdose victim. She is my baby girl, she is my heart, my soul. She's gone. Just gone. But why? How did this happen? This is not what we had planned. She is supposed to be coming home tomorrow. We have plans. She's not supposed to be in that body bag or in that truck on the way to the morgue. But wait, I need to touch her, to talk to her, please! Why won't they let me see her? She just needs to hear my voice then it will be okay. Please.
Sunday, April 19th 2020 my baby girl Emma Elizabeth Christen, born December 3rd, 1998, died of an overdose related to Fentanyl. No one can prepare a parent for this pain, this loss. No one can prepare you for the phone calls you have to make to your other children, her brothers and sisters. How do you even say it out loud? But you must.
Had I known what I know now, I would have sent Emma out the door educated and prepared to save her own life or maybe someone else's. Emma would have had Narcan and test strips when she left the house the Friday before. Emma is a bright and shining star in life and death, and I hope that in our story of overdose we can save some lives and some parents and families from having to go through what we have. Please, from one parent to another, I only ask you to educate yourselves and your babies about the dangers of Fentanyl. It is real and yes it could be you and your kids, and it's permanent. Death. Loss. Devastatingly life-changing.
When it comes to matters of the heart there is no right or wrong. Every choice you make expands your understanding of life and love.
Cure the Convo.
Education and Narcan are free! Funerals and losing your child or a loved one are not!
All our love, Dalena and Emma